Dave Crowley Services, Logo

Toll Free:  (800) 729-5070
Quincy:  (781) 556-1910
dave@davecrowley.com

Lets Get Started


Mold Remediation for Homes and Businesses

Mold can be a serious health concern. Fight back with the expertise of certified professionals from Dave Crowley Services of Quincy, Massachusetts. As certified mold remediators, we have extensive experience repairing mold contamination in homes and businesses. We use the necessary equipment to get the job done and employ the best practices to deter future growth. Turn to us when you have mold present in your home or business and we'll be happy to remove it for you.

What Mold Is

Mold produces tiny spores in order to reproduce. The spores waft through the indoor and outdoor air continually, and when they land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods. When excessive moisture or water accumulates indoors, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed. There is no practical way to eliminate all molds and mold spores in the indoor environment; the only way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.


Why Mold Grows in Homes

Mold is part of the natural environment. Outdoors, mold plays a part in nature by breaking down dead, organic matter, such as fallen leaves and dead trees. However, indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Mold reproduces by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

Mold

Mold Notes

Mold Can Cause Health Problems

Mold is usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Mold has the potential to cause health problems. It produces allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Mold can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing.

Click here to read the "Mold School" article published in "Home Work Source Book".

How to Get Rid of Mold 

It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then the mold problem will come back.

Mold Testing

Mold spores are nasty, ugly, and they affect your health and the way you live. They can also be in every breath you take. The fact is, dust mites, pollen, bacteria, and viruses are invading your home and office, whether you like it or not.

Our company offers microbiological testing and consulting services to rid your space of mold and other harmful elements that may be lurking around your air ducts and other areas. We provide the necessary service to ensure your home or business is free of any pests that would otherwise cause destruction and a threat to your health.


"Interpretation of Results of Microbiological Testing"

By Alexander Robertson IV

Editor's Note: Alexander Robertson, IV, is the managing partner of the Los Angeles law firm Knopfler and Robertson, LLP, a civil litigation practice that specializes in construction defect litigation.

"There are no 'official' standards or guidelines for fungal or bacterial bioaerosols. Some researchers have expressed an opinion that 100 250 CFU's are acceptable, provided no opportunistic fungi are present. The same range is also used by the U.S. Public Health Service, Federal Employee Occupational Service (Region III). A range of concentrations proposed by the World Health Organization and Health Canada suggests that microbial concentrations below 50 CFU for a single species (other than outdoor common fungi), 150 CFU for a mixture of species reflective of the outdoor air spores, or 500 CFU during the summer for common outdoor fungi (such as Cladosporium) are acceptable. There are other ranges (called background numbers or guidelines) used by organizations such as the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) and OSHA.

Since there are no governmental established guidelines to follow regarding airborne fungi, indoor results must be interpreted with respect to the control samples. In general, mechanically ventilated buildings should have indoor fungal counts that are lower than those found outside. In addition, the species found inside should be similar to those identified outside the building. A situation should be considered unusual when the fungal levels inside are an order of magnitude or greater than those found in the outdoor control sample. Further, the presence of any slimy spored toxigenic fungi, such as Stachybotrys chartarum and Fusarium moniliforme, should be considered unusual, and may suggest an indoor contamination source. The consistent detection of some fungi, such as Aspergillus or various species of Penicillium, could indicate water damage and subsequent fungal amplification."